Sunday, March 9, 2008

"Saving nature, but only for man."

Having read this article, I started pondering whether selfless act is practical in the context of protecting the environment. Truly speaking, the issue on “Saving nature, but only for man” has never occurred to me at all. I always thought that saving the earth was a noble act of mankind, but more than often, we are protecting the earth so as to protect ourselves.

Upon reading this article that I started reflecting on the reason behind man’s continuous efforts in trying to save the world wasn’t entirely selfless but I guess there is nothing wrong with doing that. Not that I am against the ideas and actions of environmentalists going all the way out to protect the nature, but I agree that it should be done with human’s well-being in mind too. Yes, protecting animal and plant species are of great importance as well because they are also part and parcel of the earth. However, if human beings are being sacrificed in the process, won’t that be a paradox? Human beings are more superior as compared to animals in the sense that humans have the ability to think ,make decision and be answerable for their own actions while animals do not have.( I shall not compare the value of human life and that of animals and other living creatures as they are very subjective.) Hence, it is logical and sensible only if we put the interest of human beings as the top priority in whatever we do.

In fact, I agree with the author’s view on how we should go about protecting the environment on the basis that the welfare of mankind should be the top priority. Though the author has indeed revealed the ugly side of human nature, but that’s the reality. This is being practical and logical. If we can’t even help ourselves, in what position are we going to help others? In addition, I also strongly believe that we should not preserve or protect the environment at the expense of the human lives as it will defeat the fundamental purpose of saving the environment --- to protect human beings.

Overall, I do agree with many that this is a very debatable topic due to the subjective nature of the issue. Many will have different views on whether should we always put the interest of human being as the top priority with regards to protecting the environment. Hence, I believe a possible way out could be to strike a balance between both parties where both the interests of human and other living creatures are being protected. However, this results in another ambiguity— does fairness really exists in this unfair world?

My Blogging Buddy was Li Hui.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Serene,

In my opinion, preservation of self interest is present throughout our lives. Not relating to the topic you are writing about, i feel that rights and wrongs are a huge ambiguity. It should always be judged according to different aspects =D great post.

Boon Woei said...

Are human beings really more superior? Human are indifferent to any other creature when facing nature disaster. In fact they are much more weaker. Human babies can't survive without proper care where as cockroach will just survive no matter how many of it you had killed.


Maybe you should use different style of opening for each paragraph. Try to make your essay more concise as in i felt that you are repeating the same idea...just personal comment. =)

Serene said...

Hi boon woei,

I do agree with you on the part about making my essay more concise. Shall make the necessary amendments.

In addition, I also agree with your point of view that humans might be more vunerable than others at certain point of time. This is a very subjective topic and I felt that you had made a gd point.

Thanks for your valuable comment=)

Brad Blackstone said...

This is a thoughtful post, Serene. It is very detailed.

You present some interesting ideas. This sentence I find a bit anthropocentric though: "Human beings are more superior as compared to animals in the sense that humans have the ability to think ,make decision and be answerable for their own actions while animals do not have."

Don't animals think? The other day at a bus stop I watched in wonder as a cat stood at roadside until just after the cars had all passed, then it bolted to the other side. Smart cat, I thought.

Have you ever watched the excellent film, The March of the Penguins? You need to watch that. it will "blow your mind," and you may never catch yourself feel above animals again.

I also appreciate your stimulating my own thought, Serene. Keep up the fine work!